214: Minimum energy efficiency standards – lettings of commercial buildings must achieve EPC rating B by 2030
The government has published a further consultation for implementation of the proposal that all privately leased commercial premises have a rating of EPC ‘B’ by 2030.
At the moment, the MEES requirement is that all rented commercial property must have an EPC rating of D or above. The average EPC rating for currently rented commercial property is estimated at D.
The latest 2021 consultation is seeking views on implementation of the target of rating B for all lettings of commercial property with a focus on:
- phasing in the requirement with an interim milestone of achieving a rating C by 1 April 2027;
- ultimate target of all rented commercial premises achieving a rating B by 1 April 2030;
- moving away from enforcement at the point of letting and seeking to ensure landlords have a valid EPC at all times;
- introducing a compliance window approach designed to simplify compliance and enforcement; and
- ensuring that the policy can actually be delivered in practice.
The consultation closes 9 June 2021 and can be found here.