Webinar: Brexit, COVID-19 and Internationally Mobile Workers with James Cowper Kreston
The return to workplaces following the COVID-19 lockdowns has upended the traditional approach to workplace location, enabling or forcing many employees, both UK and foreign nationals to work from home in the UK or overseas during the pandemic when they are usually based elsewhere.
The end of the Brexit transition period and the obligation for UK companies now to sponsor new EU national workers not entitled to status under the EU Settlement Scheme also means that companies are rethinking where they employ staff and how they can navigate the UK immigration system.
Tim Hayes, Legal Director and Claire Wagstaff, Legal Director at BDB Pitmans along with Jaouad Chakht, Global Mobility Tax Manager and Charlotte Firth, Global Mobility Tax Senior Manager at James Cowper Kreston will talk through the tax, employment and immigration issues relating to international workers in this particular set of circumstances.
Areas they will discuss will include:
Employment / Immigration:
- What employment laws will apply to employees located overseas?
- Can I bring mobile workers back into the UK office once the pandemic is over?
- Can my UK staff travel to the EU on business now?
- Can business visitors come to the UK from the EU on a short-term basis?
- How easy is it to sponsor foreign workers into the UK under the new points-based immigration system?
- Do I need to undertake checks on EU national employees to ensure they have the right to work in the UK post-Brexit?
Remote working – tax and social security:
- Tax residency and implications
- Employer obligations under UK PAYE and overseas requirements
- Permanent Establishment risk
- Social security: Brexit/EU countries, EEA countries, multi-state workers, agreement and non-agreement countries
- Social security: position for UK workdays when based primarily overseas
To register your attendance, please click on the ‘Register interest’ button.
Please note: this webinar will be held using Zoom and a link will be sent to you in your registration confirmation email and will also be resent on the morning of the webinar.
We hope you can join us.
Stay in the know
Sign up to receive our blogs, newsletters and event invitations direct to your inbox