International – USA
As an award winning top 70 UK multi-service law firm with offices across the UK, BDB Pitmans has the breadth and depth of service to provide comprehensive legal advice and specialist support to individuals and businesses across multiple jurisdictions.International Clients
Our commitment to approaching every case with the bigger picture in mind means we are perfectly equipped to advise on international issues for our diverse client base, including international non-domiciled individuals, UK resident or non-resident, international families and business owners.
Whether you have non-UK assets or business interests overseas, our lawyers will work closely with their colleagues across a range of departments to provide you with essential advice on a range of high value, complex matters.
But we don’t only work collaboratively within the firm. Through our membership of the Lexwork International and Interact Law networks we have access to a system of contacts in accountancy practices, private banks and trust companies across the world. This enables us to provide a market-leading service for domestic and international clients alike, drawing on the highest expertise when dealing in cross-border issues. We are proud to be able to offer our clients a complete service.
BDB Pitmans’ corporate and commercial practice provides tailored, practical advice to a range of clients including entrepreneurs, multinational corporations, charities, major public bodies, education, healthcare, transport and retail organisations.
Our team of experienced corporate lawyers work alongside US counsel on a variety of US focused corporate deals and inward investment opportunities for entrepreneurs and global businesses. Our corporate lawyers have strong networks in the USA and understand the business environment in which their USA clients / lawyers operate.
We focus on delivering exceptional client service and building longstanding client relationships. We support US counsel and their clients to realise their business goals in the UK by
Our international private wealth team is very familiar with the tax challenges faced by US citizens living in the UK, especially long term residents and “mixed marriage” couples consisting of a of a US citizen and a British national. UK citizens living in the US face different, but equally challenging, issues particularly for those who emigrated, become Green Card holders or invested in US real estate.
Without expert advice, those with US and UK connections could end up paying tax twice and at higher rates than they might have anticipated.
Whether working alongside our client’s own US-based advisors or collaborating with colleagues from our international network of contacts, our experienced team can steer you through the stormy waters of transatlantic tax and succession planning and answer questions including:
- What is the difference between the US and UK concepts of domicile and residence and why does it matter?
- What happens if I have to pay tax in the US and UK? Will I get double tax relief and how do I claim it?
- I’m the grantor/settlor/beneficiary of a US trust. How will I be taxed on distributions whilst I am living in the UK?
- I’m the settlor/beneficiary of a UK trust. How will I be taxed on distributions whilst I am resident in the US.
- I’m a US citizen but I’ve been living in the UK for fourteen years, should I set up a trust?
- I’m the sole trustee of a US trust. I have become resident in the UK. Why is this a problem?
- I’m a UK resident non-domiciled settlor of an offshore trust. My children have gone to live in the US. What do I do now?
- I’m a US citizen. My wife’s a Brit. Our children are dual nationals. What should we put in our wills? How do we maximise our tax exemptions and avoid double taxation?
- I’m a Brit. I have a holiday home in Florida. How should I deal with it in my will? How much tax will I have to pay and to whom?
- I’m a Brit but I emigrated to the US last year. My US attorney says I should put my assets in a grantor trust. Is this a good idea?