Highways are vital infrastructure which connecting communities and businesses whilst also having impacts which need to be appropriately managed.
+44(0)20 7783 3418TomHenderson@bdbpitmans.com
Highways are vital infrastructure which connecting communities and businesses whilst also having impacts which need to be appropriately managed. We can advise highway authorities, and those affected by highway development, on highway development proposed under:
- Development Consent Orders (DCOs) under the Planning Act 2008;
- Compulsory Purchase Orders (CPOs);
- Side Roads Orders and other orders under the Highways Act 1980; and
- Planning permission under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
We are able to advise both promoters and third parties affected by development on ensuring robust design optioneering, consultation, environmental impact assessment, and navigating a successful application and examination.
We have advised on the promotion of more highways DCOs than any other firm, for local highway authorities as well as National Highways (formerly Highways England). We obtained the first section 35 direction for a road scheme, the Silvertown Tunnel – this is the process under the Planning Act 2008 by which roads not on the strategic road network can be consented using the DCO process.
Our extensive experience of CPOs across a number of statutory regimes, including under the Highways Act 1980 and the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, means we can ably assist with ensuring the acquisition of the land needed to deliver a scheme. We are also able to provide advice on other Highways Act 1980 orders.
Our experience promoting highway schemes
Local Authority Roads:
- M6 Heysham Link Road (for Lancashire County Council);
- M1 Junction 10a Upgrade (for Luton Borough Council);
- Morpeth Northern Bypass (for Northumberland Council);
- Silvertown Tunnel (for Transport for London); and
- Woodside Link (for Central Bedfordshire Council).
Strategic Road Network:
- Lower Thames Crossing;
- M42 Junction 6 Improvement;
- A63 Castle Street Improvement;
- A19/A184 Testo’s Junction Alteration;
- A19 Downhill Lane Junction Alteration;
- A160/A180 Immingham Improvement;
- M25 Junction 10 Improvement;
- M25 Junction 28 Improvement; and
- A556 Knutsford to Bowden.
Our experience advising in relation to third party development
With a strong development background, our real estate specialists work alongside our infrastructure and planning teams providing support as needed. By understanding the property and commercial angles, they can advise on development affected and unlocked by highways, third party agreements, and landowner promotion and collaboration agreements.
Our recent experience includes:
- acting for a highway authority in relation to the proposed Heathrow Airport expansion;
- acting for a highway authority in relation to a new power station in Essex;
- acting for highway authorities in relation to new business and commercial developments in the North East and South East;
- acting for a landowner in relation to a new highway development on the A2;
- concluding a development agreement for housing unlocked by the highway project we promoted; and
- acting for a harbour authority on a highway project in Great Yarmouth.
Planning and infrastructure brochure File size: 289.58 KB
Nationally significant projects brochure File size: 2.28 MB
Roads – How can we help File size: 1.13 MB
Related Services and Sectors
- Commercial Contracts
- Compulsory Purchase
- Clean Air Zones
- Infrastructure Planning
- Public Inquiries
Excellent support and good advice throughout all contacts at BDB.
Chambers and Partners UK 2018