Wealth and Estate Planning
Whether you are an entrepreneur, a landowner or the recipient of a family inheritance, we can help you to achieve your estate planning aims. Our cross sector teams are here to help you grow your wealth through new business enterprises, or review, or establish estate planning structures to preserve and pass on your estate through tax efficient entities and wills.Sectors and Services
International estates and probate
What we do
Our International Team fields cross-departmental experts who can advise you on all aspects of your estate planning from the establishment of your business or receipt of your inheritance, to lifetime gifts and other planning, to your legacy to future generations through your will and philanthropic activities. We review existing asset holding structures, wherever they may be established, advise you on their UK tax and succession consequences and restructure them if needed.
We help you establish new trusts, companies, partnerships or other wealth holding entities, whether onshore or offshore, to manage and protect your assets and maximise tax efficiency. We craft wills to ensure that your estate passes to your chosen successors, at the time and in the way you decide. We provide family office services or work with your family office as required and advise on family governance and family constitutions. We recognise that you and your family are unique and we tailor our solutions to your aims, objectives and family dynamics. If your family or your wealth crosses borders, so do we.
Some of the questions we can help you answer include:
- What is the best structure for the shares in my company?
- How will I be taxed when I sell my company?
- Are there any tax breaks for farmland? What if it is outside the UK?
- How should I own my house or houses?
- Do I need to put my assets in a trust?
- My assets are already in a trust. How will they be taxed and treated in the UK?
- Where should I make my will? Do I need more than one?
- What is the best way to make lifetime gifts to my children/grandchildren?
- Will I get tax relief if I make gifts to charity?
- What is the best way to set up my own charity?
- Can I support overseas charities?
- I already have a philanthropic foundation overseas. How will that be treated in the UK?
- I have fallen out with one of my children. Will they have a claim on my estate? How can I prevent them from benefitting from my estate?
- I want to give some money to my children but I am worried they might get divorced. How can I protect the gift?
- My grandchild has special needs. What is the best way of providing for them?
- My business is my main asset. How can I pass it on to one child but treat the others fairly too?
- I, of course, want my husband/wife to be well provided for, but what if they remarry? How do I prevent a future spouse getting my money?
- How can I make sure that my children make their own way in life before they inherit anything?
- I want to give my family some of my estate then donate the rest to charity. What is the best way of doing that ?