Buying your freehold or extending your lease?
We have a team dedicated to the complex area of leasehold enfranchisement. Our history with residential leasehold law goes back almost two decades, having successfully served the first ever collective enfranchisement claim notice on the day the 1993 Act came into force in 1994.
The team navigates clients through the process of any lease, sale, purchase, enfranchisement or funding; taking a proactive approach to ensure a practical and commercial solution.
Find out more about the team and how we can help you below.
Our Leasehold Enfranchisement team
Hema has over 17 years’ extensive experience advising on all aspects of high net worth residential property. She is an expert in the niche and complex area of enfranchisement, Right To Manage and Rights of First Refusal advising in respect of houses, flats, purpose built blocks and converted buildings and has received several industry awards.
Hema regularly comments in The Times on the latest residential property issues and often contributes to News On The Block, a leading UK publication that provides help and advice about enfranchisement.
Rachel specialises in the niche area of residential leasehold enfranchisement, and has experience of dealing with a range of commercial property matters and managing a busy enfranchisement caseload.
She provides straightforward and practical advice to both leaseholders and freeholders in relation to lease extensions, collective enfranchisement and also 1967 Act freehold purchases.
As well as commencing the process and seeing it through to completion, Rachel also deals with matters at the First Tier Tribunal if required. She also assists with residential landlord and tenant matters.
Gabrielle has over 20 years’ experience and specialises in leasehold reform and residential property management.
She advises both landlords and tenants on a wide range of transactions and issues relating to lease extension and collective enfranchisement claims under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993, making and defending claims to acquire freeholds under the Leasehold Reform Act 1967, right to manage claims and the management of residential property portfolios.
John has specialised in the residential landlord and tenant field for 25 years, and has a particularly strong reputation in the leasehold enfranchisement of houses and flats, and lease extensions for flats. He also advises many managing agents and tenant management companies on tenancy issues.
John is a leading practitioner for tenant clients in the specialist leasehold reform field and is a ‘go to’ adviser for properties on the Cadogan, Grosvenor, Wellcome Trust, Howard de Walden and other principal central London estates.
Benefits of buying your freehold
- Control the management of your building;
- Freedom from a nuisance landlord;
- Protect your tenancy and grant yourselves 999 year leases with nil ground rent;
- Choose your own building’s insurer;
- Appoint your own choice of managing agent;
- Regulate your own service charges; and
- Possibility to develop your building.
BDB are recommended by clients for ‘lease enfranchisement, technical residential landlord and tenant advice and conveyancing.’
Legal 500 UK 2018
Benefits of extending your lease
- Add another 90 years to your lease;
- Nil ground rent;
- Increase the value of your flat;
- Boost the saleability of your flat; and
- Make your flat more attractive to lenders.
Go to firm for high-net-worth individuals.
Legal 500 UK 2018
How we can help you
- Our specialist enfranchisement team can advise if you meet the qualification criteria and guide you smoothly through the process;
- We are experienced in handling a variety of enfranchisement claims in prime central London and across all the large freehold estates;
- We are local to you in SW1 and have an in-depth knowledge of the area;
- We have good contacts with specialist valuers familiar with SW1; and
- Q&A sessions with participants can be hosted at our offices opposite St James’s Park tube station.
Stay in the know
Sign up to receive our blogs, newsletters and event invitations direct to your inbox