Webinar round up: Business Breakfast with Martin Tugwell of Transport for the North
On 24 January 2022, ahead of the High Speed Rail (Crewe – Manchester) Bill being deposited, we were delighted to be joined by Martin Tugwell, CEO, Transport for the North.
Martin spent some time discussing the impact that investment into infrastructure can have on our lives socially, environmentally and economically, the challenges currently faced by the transport profession, Transport for the North’s ambitious plans based on the unique needs of Northern England and the importance of strong, vision-led leadership to make change happen.
The session was chaired by Nicholas Evans, Partner in BDB Pitmans’ infrastructure planning team, and concluded with a Q&A where Martin answered key questions such as:
- What is the single biggest blocker to planning transport that improves speed and capacity, as well as people’s livelihoods and wellbeing?
- What investment and improvement to transport infrastructure will be taking place in the North?
- Should forms of carbon friendly transport be prioritised over roads?
- How do we shift freight away from roads and onto rail and inland waterways to help deliver on climate change?
- How can Transport for the North’s stakeholders work more collaboratively to minimise delays due to their individual governance requirements?
- Are Transport for the North working with the private finance sector to ensure delivery of their planned projects? Would private finance improve the speed of delivery of transport projects?
The full webinar is now available on our YouTube channel: