Alex provides clear and pragmatic advice to trustees and sponsors of DB and DC schemes on all aspects of pensions and employee benefits law including benefit redesign, scheme mergers, scheme governance, funding and investment matters, scheme closures, buyouts and pensions issues arising on corporate transactions and public sector outsourcing.
Alex also has niche expertise in the following specialist areas:
- life assurance – including advice to clients on the design and implementation of effective group life schemes as well as managing any issues relating to those arrangements;
- negotiation of pensions related contractual documentation – including administrator agreements, investment management agreements, consultancy agreements and custody agreements;
- DC schemes – including advice to employers on the establishment of pensions governance committees, master trust transfers, automatic enrolment compliance and salary sacrifice; and
- Dubai International Financial Centre – including advice to clients in the Dubai International Financial Centre on end of service benefits, including the DIFC’s new workplace savings scheme and advising service providers on the establishment of such schemes in compliance with the DIFC’s Employment Law.
In addition to his work in private practice, Alex has had the benefit of two secondments to the Pension Protection Fund and seven years’ experience as the secretary to the trustees of a DB pension scheme.
Alex is a member of the Association of Pension Lawyers and is a regular speaker at industry events, covering topics such as pension scams, DC scheme compliance issues and the pensions tax regime.
- Benefits overhaul – assisting an online food delivery marketplace with a project to replace its pension and death in service arrangements and implement a new salary sacrifice arrangement for pension contributions
- Cessation of accrual – advising two household name luxury goods companies on the closure of their DB pension scheme
- Transport company transaction – advised a national rail and bus operator on the pensions aspects of its separation from its overseas parent company, involving extensive negotiations with the parent company and the trustee boards of five DB schemes;
- Scheme merger – advising the corporate trustee of an airline pension scheme on the merger of its scheme with several airline pension arrangements and drafting new rules for the merged scheme
- Global master trust – assisting a global benefits consultancy with the design of, and documents to establish, an international master trust to accommodate DC savings and/or pensions products in different territories