Anthony is an experienced criminal defence lawyer specialising in extradition, mutual legal assistance, white-collar crime and financial regulation. He has represented corporates and individuals subject to investigation by the Serious Fraud Office, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, Financial Conduct Authority, National Crime Agency and the US Department of Justice. He also has substantial experience representing clients in interviews conducted by the police and other investigative bodies, including compulsory interviews under the s2 Criminal Justice Act 1987.
Anthony has an accomplished extradition practice and has acted in some of the most complex and high-profile extradition cases in recent times, including Love v USA (first US extradition request to be discharged on forum grounds), Galino v Paraguay (first ever extradition request from Paraguay), Dzgoev v Russia (leading case on Russian assurances), Italy v Rancadore (alleged Mafia boss case) and Sas v Poland (leading Supreme Court case on domestic warrants in extradition cases).
He also advises clients on a range of cross-jurisdictional matters including mutual legal assistance, INTERPOL Red Notices and ECtHR applications. He is consistently ranked as a ‘Leading Individual’ for Crime: Extradition in Chambers and Partners UK and is regularly sought to advise clients in cross-border investigations involving multiple enforcement agencies.
An outstanding solicitor who is very hardworking and tactically very astute.
Chambers and Partners UK 2020
I can only recommend him in the highest possible terms.
Cool, calm and knowledgeable approach to oral litigation.
Provides timely, accurate and achievable strategic advice.
Highly regarded for his expertise in extradition law, with a notable expertise in cases involving Russia and the CIS.
Chambers and Partners UK 2019
Very concise and engaging, with a good reputation among judges.
Chambers and Partners UK 2018
- Advised investment fund in successful retroactive application to the FCA for permission to undertake client asset activities
- Advising listed multi-national pharmaceutical company in relation to FCA investigation into insider trading following announcement of a drug trial result
- Successfully represented investment banker in relation to charges brought by Italian authorities regarding a fraudulent bankruptcy allegation concerning Olivetti Computers
- Represented UHNWI in an application for a Production Order by City of London police following a mutual legal assistance request by the Cypriot authorities. The application was part of ongoing litigation in the UK, Cyprus, Greece and Monaco and required extensive forensic investigation regarding assertion of LPP
- Advising client under investigation by the FCA in relation to allegations of operating an unregulated collective investment scheme under FSMA and making misleading statements under FSA