David has nearly 25 years’ experience advising on pension scheme matters including consolidating trust deeds and rules, funding shortfalls, contingent assets, PPF assessment, complex deeds and enhanced transfer values / other liability management.
David has particular expertise in section 75 debt issues, reorganisations, mergers and restructuring.
He is calm, pragmatic, responsive and produces clear advice.
Chambers and Partners UK 2021
- Devising a structure to allow a poorly funded “’orphan” ‘ scheme to successfully enter the PPF and so better secure members’ benefits
- Negotiating and implementing a package of contingent assets comprising a guarantee and changes over multiple properties, so giving greater security and reducing the PPF levy
- Advice to identify statutory employers and negotiating and implementing flexible apportionment arrangements, thereby facilitating a group re-organisation without any section 75 debt triggered
- Helping scheme trustees reject the employer’s debt compromise proposal and implement a viable recovery plan, including a parent company guarantee
- Merger of group pension schemes, including to successfully release surplus trapped in the transferring scheme