Emily has extensive experience across the planning and compulsory purchase realm. She advises on a wide variety of developments, including major infrastructure projects and large commercial developments, and many smaller matters.
She advises on conventional Town and Country Planning consents, Development Consent Orders, Transport and Works Act Orders, and Hybrid Bills. Emily acts for both promoters and objectors, and her clients include large and small scale developers, statutory undertakers and utilities, local authorities, charities, and private individuals.
As well as major infrastructure projects, Emily regularly advises on general planning matters including planning appeals and advice on enforcement, s.106 agreements, assets of community value under the Localism Act 2011, listed building consent, community infrastructure levy, permitted development rights and the prior approval process, and highways agreements.
Emily has significant experience in working against and for objectors and is therefore particularly adept at advising on consultee liaison and management, handling issues throughout examination, negotiating protective provisions, and securing interests by private agreement.
She also has particular experience in assisting clients with the development of application documents, including environmental related and consultation documentation, as well as advising on matters of policy and consenting strategy.
- Advising a wide variety of petitioners, including the Canal & River Trust and other statutory undertakers, in petitioning against the HS2 Bill
- Successfully acting at inquiry on behalf of the promoters of the Manston Airport DCO in relation to a planning appeal brought by the site’s landowners
- Advising the Garden Bridge Trust on complex matters in relation to the proposed bridge across the Thames, including on assets of community value, planning obligations, section 106 agreements, and the application of section 237 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990
- Assisting Blackpool Council with the successful promotion of its tramway TWA Order
- Acting on National Grid’s application for the Richborough Connection Project DCO
- Assisting objectors in securing protections from promoters where apparatus or land interests are affected