Garvey has a mixed practice spanning litigation, employment and professional regulation. He acts for a range of company clients in various sectors, with particular experience in transport, professional services, professional regulation, healthcare and sport / media. His individual clients are typically senior executives from a wide range of sectors.
Garvey has handled a number of complex, high value and high profile claims in the High Court, Employment Tribunals and Employment Appeal Tribunal for both claimants and defendants, and regularly appears as an advocate in professional regulation tribunals.
He has extensive in-house experience, having worked for significant periods within clients’ organisations to understand their business and sector from the inside-out.
Garvey is an accredited commercial and workplace mediator and active promoter of mediation as a valuable tool in the resolution of conflict deadlock. In 2014 he completed a secondment as director of legal services at the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a UK registered charity which exists for the global promotion of alternative dispute resolution, including mediation. He has successfully mediated a number of disputes between directors, management and staff in various organisations.
He has also used his employment law expertise to conduct difficult or sensitive workplace investigations for clients as part of employee disciplinary processes, using his experience of employment tribunal claims to avoid some of the risks of claims that might be associated with internally managed investigations.
- Providing legal and strategic advice on the employment aspects of a phase change in a major rail development programme across London
- Acting for the head physio at a Premier League football club in a contentious exit, and successfully negotiating a severance package
- Acting successfully for an IT consultancy firm in a £1.7 million constructive dismissal, breach of contract (shares) claim
- Acting for a train operating company, successfully defending a multiple-claimant, union sponsored claim about overtime rates of pay
- Successfully defending a police authority in a prominent race discrimination / harassment claim