John became head of legacy Pitmans’ corporate department in 2000, leading M&A transactions, IPOs, private equity investments and setting up a banking department. In 2007, while remaining a partner, he set up a private equity fund with clients of the firm, investing in oil and gas technology companies. In 2011 he became managing partner of the fund.
In 2015 he returned to legacy Pitmans as managing partner and has continued in that capacity through to the firm’s merger with Bircham Dyson Bell (BDB) in December 2018. Following the merger John remains on the BDB Pitmans Executive Board and is an active partner in the corporate department.
John is a non-executive director and investor in several technology companies and has been chairman of a medical devices company.
He remains fundamentally curious about businesses and has enormous enthusiasm for working with business founders and entrepreneurs.
John Hutchinson is the firm's managing partner and wins praise for his corporate expertise. 'He's really good and knowledgeable,' comments a client, adding: 'He's up to date on the corporate and finance world and he's a great all-rounder.'
Chambers and Partners UK 2019
Commercial, intellectual and driven’ managing partner John Hutchinson continues to be a significant figure in the practice, having previously headed the team.
Legal 500 UK 2018
- Sale of Ridgeway Motor Group to Marshalls plc for £107.7 million in May 2017 after 20 years acting for them from start-up to final exit
- Sale of Olivetti and Oracle Laboratories in the UK to California Microwave Inc
- Acquisition of Esteem IT Limited by Roc Technologies Limited in 2018
- Sale of Ocean IT Limited to Cancom in 2018
- Funding rounds into Totaltec Oilfield Services Limited in 2018