John became head of Pitmans’ corporate department in 2000, leading M&A transactions, IPOs, private equity investments and setting up a banking department. In 2007, while remaining a partner, he set up a private equity fund with clients of the firm, investing in oil and gas technology companies. In 2011 he became managing partner of the fund.
In 2015 he returned to Pitmans as managing partner and continued in that capacity through to the firm’s merger with Bircham Dyson Bell (BDB) in December 2018. Following the merger John remained on the BDB Pitmans Executive Board, stepping back from that role in 2020. He is an active partner in the corporate department. As of June 2022, John assumed the role of Senior Partner, providing support to colleagues across all four offices.
John is a non-executive Chairman, director and investor in several technology companies. He is a governor of a UTC.
He remains fundamentally curious about businesses and has enormous enthusiasm for working with business founders and entrepreneurs.
- Sale of Ridgeway Motor Group to Marshalls plc for £107.7 million in May 2017 after 20 years acting for them from start-up to final exit
- Sale of Olivetti and Oracle Laboratories in the UK to California Microwave Inc
- Acquisition of Esteem IT Limited by Roc Technologies Limited in 2018
- Sale of and re-investment in Ultima IT Systems in 2021
- Sale of Off Grid Energy Systems to Pramac Generac in 2021