Jonathan is a partner in the firm’s private wealth team. He advises both UK residents and international clients on UK tax, trusts, estate and succession issues with a particular focus on international cross-border matters for non-UK domiciled clients (resident in the UK or elsewhere), offshore trustees and family offices.
This includes advising on residence, domicile, the remittance basis of taxation, and developing or refining structures and strategies to preserve wealth and avoid unnecessary tax and succession implications.
Jonathan regularly advises individuals moving to or from the UK on how to plan their affairs in a tax efficient manner before they arrive or depart. Often this will include considering the impact on, and planning for, any business they own or structure they can benefit from.
He is experienced in advising entrepreneurs at all stages in the lifecycle of their business. For example, an efficient will, personal tax strategies around sale, or how to manage the succession of the business down to the next generation of the family.
Jonathan has built up experience on the cross border tax, legal and compliance issues between South Africa and the UK, and has travelled there often.
He is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and has obtained the STEP Diploma and the STEP Advanced Certificate in UK Tax for International Clients and a STEP excellence award. Jonathan is named as a key lawyer in the leading legal directory Legal 500, and is ranked in Chambers in the High Net Worth Guide and as a lawyer with foreign expertise in South Africa.
He is exceptional and has deep international experience and expertise.
He has a lot of experience of cross-border work. He is very good at explaining how the complicated rules work and gives practical solutions.
Chambers and Partners HNW Rankings 2021
- Advising on how to move to the UK in a tax efficient manner, the effect on three offshore trusts, a pension and coordinating advice from three jurisdictions.
- Advising a mixed UK / US domiciled couple on wills and estate planning for their business and assets in different jurisdictions.
- Advising offshore trustees on regularising UK tax matters as part of the Requirement to Correct and making applications under the Worldwide Disclosure Facility.
- Advising on setting up two UK Family Investment Companies, one for investments, the other trading.
- Advising a UK resident and domiciled business owner on settling shares in his trading business on trust to allow family succession and advising on Business Property Relief.