+44(0)20 7783 3566
Nicola is the know-how lawyer for the charities and social enterprise team, responsible for knowledge management on charity-related matters.
She has extensive knowledge and experience across the charities field, which she brings to bear both within the firm and in numerous sector groups and working parties. Nicola also has broad experience of charity and trust litigation matters.
Nicola has worked extensively with the Charity Law Association, having served on its executive committee from 2008 to 2019 and as its Chair from 2016 to 2019. She has chaired and assisted on numerous working parties to respond to relevant consultations, including chairing the working party in response to the Law Commission’s consultation, Technical Issues in Charity Law, in 2015 and conducting ongoing liaison with the Law Commission in the run-up to the Charities Bill introduced to Parliament in 2021. During the passage of the Bill through Parliament, Nicola gave evidence to the Parliamentary Special Committee on the Bill (see here). Nicola also works regularly with the Charity Tax Group, including recent work in clarifying points relating to claiming gift aid on waiver of loans and ticket refunds. Nicola is also a regular speaker and commentator on charity law.
- The new Charities Bill and the legal implications for trustees (Charities Management)
- Charitable rates relief, multiple site occupation and trading – Court of Appeal decision
- Charity trading subsidiaries as charities – the New Lanark decision
- Webinar – Fiscal environment and tax landscape for charities following the Budget (March 2021)
- Gift Aid and Tax returns – the cautionary tale of Mr Webster
- Nicola contributed the chapter on the involvement of charitable interests in International Trust Disputes (OUP)