Phil specialises in commercial litigation, bringing and defending claims on behalf of corporate and individual clients on a range of issues including contractual and tort claims, technology disputes and property litigation.
Phil Smith is ‘first rate; he has a sharp, analytical mind, identifies and advises clearly on key issues, and is very user-friendly’.
Legal 500 UK 2018
- Successfully advising an aerospace supply company in a substantial claim resolved through international arbitration proceedings involving three different jurisdictions
- Advising a FTSE 100 media and technology company in a substantial dispute concerning the installation of satellite television reception equipment at approximately 1,000 sites around the UK
- Advising a multinational software company in a licensing dispute concerning alleged infringement in more than 40 different jurisdictions around the globe
- Successfully advising a well-known security and anti-virus company in a contractual claim against a substantial customer, culminating in a summary judgment application which resulted in the client recovering the claimed amount in full, together with enhanced interests and costs
- Advising the management company of a substantial private estate in north London in a claim establishing (amongst other things) the company’s right to control parking on several miles of estate roads, culminating in a trial at which the client was successful in every aspect of the claim and awarded indemnity costs