Richard has over 25 years’ experience as a litigator. He handles a wide range of commercial and public law litigation. He is also an officer of the London Solicitors Litigation Association.
His commercial litigation practice encompasses acting for individuals and charities, as well as corporates, in cases involving internal company disputes, breaches of fiduciary duty, professional negligence and defamation.
Richard is also known for his expertise in judicial review. It is in this area of his work that he has handled high profile cases for ACPO, Arts Council England, Association of British Insurers, Committee on Climate Change, English Heritage, Environment Agency, Esso, Garden Bridge Trust, Health and Care Professions Council, Metropolitan Police, Natural Resources Wales, Network Rail, Port of London Authority, Royal Yachting Association, Westminster City Council (and other local authorities), and Wightlink Ferries.
He is also a Privy Council agent, overseeing numerous appeals to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council, taking instructions from lay clients and overseas law firms from Bermuda, the BVI, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Jersey, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and the Turks and Caicos Islands.
- Acting for Nuffield Health in establishing its entitlement to mandatory rates relief: MERTON LBC V NUFFIELD HEALTH  3 WLR 838
- Acting for Westgate Healthcare in its claim against Royal Bank of Scotland for mis-selling of interest rate swaps (2016)
- UK Supreme Court – the first occasion on which the court struck down legislation from one of the devolved legislatures as outside their competence: RECOVERY OF MEDICAL COSTS FOR ASBESTOS DISEASES (WALES) BILL: Reference by the Counsel General for Wales  2 WLR 481
- Acting for Network Rail to resist challenges to the redevelopment of London Bridge station (2012)
- Court of Appeal – defamation – establishing absolute privilege for a Swiss bank being sued as a result of reporting a stockbroker to regulators: (1) PATRICK MAHON (2) ANDREW LESLIE KENT v (1) DR CHRISTIAN RAHN (2) HANS-JAKOB BIEDERMANN (3) MARTIN HAAB-BIEDERMANN (4) FRANK BODMER (5) RAHN & BODMER (A PARTNERSHIP)  1 WLR 2150