Aaron advises on public law matters, such as the powers and duties of statutory bodies, drafting legislation and amendments, as well as regulatory arrangements including State aid. He has also advised on issues such as human rights; parliamentary privilege; the preparation and publication of, and consultation on, sensitive reports; and reducing the risk of legal action/challenge.
He also advises those who wish to obtain or oppose consents for development, particularly major infrastructure and development projects, and has particular expertise in respect of compulsory purchase, highways, rights of way and open space issues, and the interface between developments and public utilities (NRSWA). This includes advising on and drafting subsidiary legislation (eg harbour orders, transport and works act orders, compulsory purchase orders) and preparing for and attending any associated public inquiry. He acts for public and private sector clients, including commercial bodies and individuals.
Aaron also advises various private clients in respect of rights of way, particularly applications for or objections to definitive map modification orders and public path (ie diversion) orders.
- Advising the Comptroller and Auditor General and the National Audit Office on the drafting and effect of the new BBC Charter, the Scotland and Wales Bills, the Bank of England and Financial Services Bill, and the Data Protection Bill
- Drafting modifications to the Northern Ireland Assembly’s Standing Orders in respect of Members’ Interests
- Promoting the Port of London Authority (Orchard Wharf) Compulsory Purchase Order 2012, including the judicial review proceedings arising, and successfully opposing the Harlow District Council (London Road North) Compulsory Purchase Order 2018
- Objecting to the Crossrail Act, the HS2 and HS2 2a Bills, and various Transport and Works Orders on behalf of major property, utility and freight companies
- Successfully opposing the Cuddesdon and Denton Public Footpath No.28 Modification Order 2013 on behalf of a private landowner