Governance and Maladministration
Statutory bodies must act within the scope of the powers granted to them. The public sector is also governed by rigorous ethical standards.
Complex legal issues often arise as to whether such bodies, their members, employees and those interacting with them, are acting both lawfully and properly.
For example, the regulation of professional bodies is an area of increasing complexity and the subject of scrutiny from a wide array of groups including the courts, the media, those subject to the rules and those it protects.
We can advise on:
- Codes of conduct
- Complaints and disciplinary proceedings
- Drafting and interpretation of governing rules
- Education and qualifications
- Forms and structures of regulatory bodies
- Professional ethics
- Statutory control
- Judicial review
- Actions by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards and in relation to the Registers of MPs and Lords interests
- Applications to the EU, parliamentary and local government ombudsmen
- Claims of misfeasance, negligence or breach of statutory duty
- Issues in relation to confidentiality, disclosure and freedom of information
- Issues in relation to lawfulness and the scope of powers or vires as it is called
- Parliamentary investigations, commissions and other inquiries