Effective consultation is an essential stage in the implementation of projects. We advise clients on the full process, from legal requirements and obligations, through to best practice.
Increasingly those wishing to deliver service change must consult first. Good public consultation can make the relationship with a local community and will help to ensure good decision-making. Bad consultation risks breaking those crucial relationships and often leads to expensive, time-consuming and potentially project or programme threatening legal challenge.
By bringing together legal and public affairs advice, we are uniquely well-placed to help develop and deliver successful public consultations; and equally to represent the interests of those adversely affected by bad consultation, or a failure to consult at all.
Consultation frequently attracts legal challenge so our advice takes full account of recent legal developments at a national and EU level, as well as the latest best practice, to avoid pitfalls.
We can advise on:
- Compliance with statutory requirements including the timing of consultation and the scope of parties consulted
- The design of a consultation strategy including methods of engagement, target audience and key stakeholders
- ‘Trouble spotting’ areas of weakness in a consultation strategy
- Discrimination issues whether in relation to the public sector equality duty or more generally
- Best practice and standards set by expectations
- Implementation of a consultation strategy including running public meetings and engagement events
- Potential challenges to consultation and engagement exercises
Related Services and Sectors
- Governance and Maladministration
- Judicial Review
- Information Law and Data Protection
- Infrastructure Planning
BDB Pitmans punches above its weight, both in the quality of its lawyers and the complexity of work.