The death of a loved one can bring overwhelming and unnecessary legal stress. During such difficult times our team are here to guide you and help relieve the burden.Sectors and Services
Winding up the estate can appear somewhat daunting, particularly if not encountered before. Problems can arise if the estate administration is not handled properly, and in a sensitive and timely way.
We have significant expertise in dealing with both UK and international estates of all sizes and complexity, including those with business interests, family companies, valuable chattels, and agricultural and heritage property.
We can advise on:
- Acceptance of assets in lieu of inheritance tax
- Claims for inheritance tax exemptions and reliefs for business, agricultural and heritage property
- Inheritance tax including completion of the inheritance tax account and calculation of the inheritance tax liability
- Insurance policy trusts that mature on death
- International estates containing assets in multiple jurisdictions and involving cross-border tax issues
- Interpretation of the will and devolution of the estate
- Intestate estates
- Jointly owned property
- Management of the estate administration
- Obtaining letters of administration or grants of probate
- Post-death rearrangements and tax planning, Deeds of Variation and the transferable inheritance tax allowances
- Preparation of estate income tax and capital gains tax returns and estate accounts
- Re-sealing Colonial Grants and applications for an English grant of administration of foreign wills
- Rights of the beneficiaries
- Role of an executor and administrator and duties, powers and liabilities
Our team members are frequently appointed as executors and trustees, thereby offering the family a professionally dispassionate view where appropriate.
We can undertake the entire day-to-day administration of the estate as well as giving specialist advice, or limit our involvement to specific areas. We are happy to discuss with you on a no obligation basis how we may best assist you on your matter.
Related Services and Sectors
- Agriculture, Estates and Rural Business
- Wills and Estate Planning
- Family and Matrimonial
- International Tax and Estate Planning
- Residential Property
- Wealth Structuring
- Contentious Probate
They did a very good job in very difficult, high-profile circumstances with a lot of time pressure
Chambers and Partners UK 2020