David has broad general restructuring and insolvency experience in both corporate and personal insolvency procedures. He advises insolvency practitioners, companies, directors, individuals, banks and invoice discounters.
David’s particular area of expertise is distressed property situations – particularly the property insolvency issues that arise in relation to corporate insolvency and restructurings, such as tenant insolvency, landlord insolvency and/or insolvent freeholders, as well as lease disclaimers, surrenders and assignments from insolvent tenants. David is therefore experienced in negotiating with, or for, all stakeholders, whether they be landlords, tenants, lenders, CVA supervisors, administrators, liquidators, LPA Receivers or Trustees in Bankruptcy.
He also advises on general commercial dispute resolution – usually with a property element, such as landlord and tenant disputes, breaches of covenant / rent arrears, forfeiture, commercial rent arrears recovery and possession applications. He can also assist with debt claims, breaches of contract and shareholder disputes.
David has been recognised in the Legal 500 as a ‘Next Generation Lawyer’.
A very thorough and knowledgeable lawyer. We have been impressed by how tactically astute his advice has proved to be in several recent landlord and tenant matters.
Legal 500 UK 2021
- Acting on the restructuring and sale of a chain of 26 quick service restaurants
- Acting on the restructuring and sale of a worldwide hospitality entertainment provider
- Assisting the joint administrators (KPMG) of Oyster Yachts in relation to the property aspects of the restructuring and sale of the business, including the transfer and disposal of a portfolio of leasehold properties
- Advising a restaurant chain that had purchased a number of insolvent properties out of administration, on claims by the landlord for unpaid rent / mesne profits, resulting in an extremely preferable settlement
- Acting on the insolvency of NHS provider EDICS